Laser Ablation ICP-MS Analysis for Lithogeochemistry and Mineral Specific Chemistry
Jan. 4 2021
Bureau Veritas' Laser Ablation ICP-MS analysis is designed to meet a broad range of analytical requirements with a single cost effective method. Lithogeochemistry Mode LA-ICP-MS capitilises on our high productivity robotic fusion technology with state of the art laser ablation and ICP-MS instruments to provide a fully extracted quantitative analysis for all elements. Detection limits are comparable to industry-leading mixed acid trace element ICP-MS packages.
- Total analysis at trace and ultra trace detection limits equivalent to mixed acid ICP-MS packages.
- Simplifies the analysis process to a single, cost effective fusion.
- XRF and ICP-MS capabilities can be combined to extend the dynamic range in one analysis (eg. U from 10ppb to % level.
- Minimizes hazards and waste due to elimination of corrosive acids.
- Spot analyses can be conducted on select mineral grains for full chemical analysis or over a given area to provide quantitative false color element maps. Grain mount or thin section options are available.
Mineral Specific Chemistry Mode
Traditional multi element lithogeochemistry analysis packages require a number of different digestion methods and instruments in order to achieve optimum results.
Alternatively, when XRF is included with LA-ICP-MS into a combined package, only a single Li-borate fusion is digestion is required. This method will provide major elements from XRF, trace and minor elements from LA-ICP-MS.
Table 1: Elements Available (Detection limits in ppm)
|Al (100)||As (10)||Ba (10)||Ca (100)||Cr (10)||Cu (10)||Fe (100)|
|K (100)||Mg (100)||Mn (10)||Na** (100)||Ni (10)||P (10)||Pb (10)|
|S (10)||Si (100)||Ti (100)||U (10)||W (10)||Y (10)||Zn (10)|
** may not be available for some sample types
|Ag (0.1)||As (0.2)||Ba (0.5)||Be (0.2)||Bi (0.02)||Br (10)||Cd (0.1)|
|Ce (0.02)||Co (0.1)||Cr (1)||Cs (0.01)||Cu (2)||Dy (0.01)||Er (0.01)|
|Eu (0.01)||Ga (0.1)||Gd (0.01)||Hf (0.01)||Ho (0.01)||In (0.05)||La (0.01)|
|Lu (0.01)||Mn (1)||Mo (0.2)||Nb (0.01)||Nd (0.01)||Ni (2)||Pb (1)|
|Pr (0.01)||Rb (0.05)||Re (0.01)||Sb (0.1)||Sc (0.1)||Se (5*)||Sm (0.01)|
|Sn (0.2)||Sr (0.1)||Ta (0.01)||Tb (0.01)||Te (0.2)||Th (0.01)||Ti (1)|
|Tl (0.2)||Tm (0.01)||U (0.01)||V (0.1)||W (0.05)||Y (0.02)||Yb (0.01)|
|Zn (5)||Zr (0.5)|
* partially volatilized